Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can lead to significant health risks and death. It occurs in the fumes produced by engines, such as your car, but also in items within your home such as stoves, fireplaces, gas ranges, and furnaces.
What Causes Poisoning Risks?
If you own a home, it's important to recognize the cases of carbon monoxide poisoning so you can prevent this type of risk of exposure. Individuals exposed to this gas can develop headaches, dizziness and confusion. It can also cause no symptoms. It leads to an individual passing out, and, because it is odorless gas, it is very dangerous at night.
It's caused by:
• Gas leaks in any appliance
• Lack of venting for hot water heaters and dryers
• Lack of venting for a fireplace
• Exterior gas leaks such as from the garage leaking into the home
• Use of a generator in the home
What Can You Do About Carbon Monoxide Leaks?
It's hard to know when a carbon monoxide leak occurs, which is why you need routine HVAC safety inspections and maintenance. It's also important to follow all safety guidelines set in your state for routine maintenance and upkeep.
Get an Inspection
Contact the team at Griffin Heating & Air Conditioning for an inspection before the cooler weather gets started to ensure your family will remain safe all winter.