Did you know your thermostat is one of the comfort accessories your home relies on the most? It’s true. Not only does it impact your home’s internal temperature, but it also plays a large role in controlling your home’s energy efficiency and utility bills.
However, a thermostat’s lifespan is not indefinite. Over time they can lose efficiency and break down, requiring maintenance, repair, or even replacement.
Signs Your Thermostat is on the Fritz
- The thermostat’s temperature reading doesn’t match the actual temperature of the house
- Your system isn’t switching when it’s supposed to -OR-
- Your system isn’t switching off when it’s supposed to
- Your home seems to take longer than normal to cool down or heat up
- Your home utility bill has increased noticeably over time
Troubleshooting the Problem
Before calling in a professional, it won’t hurt anything to see if there’s an easy solution. Here are a few home troubleshooting steps to try before picking up the phone:
- Check the switches. In older models, they can come loose or snap off. If this is the problem, you’ll need a new replacement.
- Remove the cover and look things over. If you see a buildup of dust, dirt, or grease on the inside, blow it out as best you can. The pressurized air canisters used for keyboards work great; just keep the nozzle a few inches away to avoid accidentally freezing the interior.
- Check the battery. Some newer thermostats require battery power for operation. If your juice is running low, a simple battery swap can fix the problem immediately.
Still Having Thermostat Problems?
We’re here to help. Our experienced Griffin technicians can identify whether the thermostat needs replacing, or if there’s something else going wrong inside your system. There’s no need to wait and wonder what is going on with your thermostat—contact us and we’ll dispatch a comfort accessories specialist right to your door.